- 4 cups raw rice
- 1/2 cup of lentil
- 25 gm white sesame seeds
- 25 gm cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons asafetida powder
- 100 gm butter
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Wash and clean the rice well.
- Let it out to dry and once it has dried completely, powder it nicely.
- Fry the lentils and powder it and keep it aside.
- Mix the powdered rice, powdered gram, white sesame seeds, cumin
seeds, asafetida powder, butter and salt together, without adding water.
- Take a little of this mixture, add water to it to get a dough like consistency.
- Now take this dough and twist it into circular shapes of the murukku (chakkli).
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Test how hot it is by dropping a pinch of dough into it – if it sinks, the oil hasn’t
become hot enough.
- If the dough springs to the top with bubbles all around it, then the oil is just ready.
- Drop in the murukku gently into the hot oil and fry golden brown.
- Keep flipping the sides till the murukku is done.
- Store in an air tight container.