Shukto is a bitter dish. This is the first dish of traditional Indian meal.
- 300 gm mixed vegetables (potato, sweet potato,
bitter gourd, green
papaya, kanchkala (green banana) (wash and
cut into medium cubes)
- 100 gm bori (dried small pulse cakes)
- 1-teaspoon panch-phoran
- 1-teaspoon ginger paste
- 2-teaspoon rai (black mustard seeds) paste
- 1-cup of milk
- 2-tablespoon mustard
- Salt and sugar according to taste
- 1-cup of water
- 2-tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry the bori light brown and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, give the panch-phoran for sauté.
- Add all vegetables and fry them in low flame.
- When the vegetables become soft add rai paste, ginger paste, salt and sugar
- Add milk, water and pre-fried bori & cook it for 10-12 min in medium flame with cover.
- When the gravy become thick and sprinkle the ghee on top.
- Enjoy Shukto with steaming Plain