Pindi Chana (Punjabi chickpeas recipe)
- 2 cups of
chickpeas (Kabuli chana)
- 21/2-inch ginger
(3/4th of it shredded finely for garnish)
- 2 teaspoon
garlic (finely crushed)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 3 medium sized
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tablespoon
coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoon ground
- 11/2 teaspoon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1/2-1 teaspoon
red chili powder or as per taste
- 1 tea bag
- 2-3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight or for about 6 hours.
- Boil the chickpeas with salt and enough water in the cooker for about
20 minutes or till fully done.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Heat oil and sauté onions till golden.
- Then add garlic, chopped ginger and green chilies, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and sauté over
low heat until the oil separates.
- Add chickpeas, the reserved cooking liquid, salt and half of the coriander
- Simmer, uncovered until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add a pinch of garam masala and serve chickpeas sprinkled with the
garam masala, coriander leaves and shredded ginger.
- Serve it with hot