Pindi Chana (a dish of chickpeas)
- 1 cup Chickpeas (chole)
- 21/2-inch Ginger
- 2tsp. Garlic
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 3 medium sized Tomatoes
- 2 Green Chilies
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2tsp. Ground Coriander
- 11/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1/2tsp. Garam Masala
- 1/2 – 1tsp. Red chili powder
- 1 Tea Bag
- 2-3 tbsp. mustard Oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak Chole in water overnight or for about 6 hours.
- Cook chole with salt and enough water in the cooker for about
20 minutes or till fully done.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Finely chop the remaining ginger.
- Heat oil and sauté onions till golden.
- Then add garlic and chopped ginger and green chilies.
- Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and
sauté over low heat until the oil separates.
- Add chole, the reserved cooking liquid, salt and half of the coriander leaves.
- Simmer, uncovered until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add a pinch of garam masala and serve chole sprinkled with the remaining
garam masala, coriander leaves and shredded ginger.
- Serve it with hot Puri or Bhutara.