Nenua-chana Sabzi (Ribbed gourd with black gram)
- 2 cups of chana (chick-pea) (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 kg ribbed gourd (peeled and cut in medium size pieces)
- 1 large onion (chopped finely lengthwise)
- A pinch of sodium bicarbonate (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried red chili
- 3-4 tablespoon mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Wash the chana and drain the water.
- Put the chana in pressure cooker, add water, a pinch of soda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook it
till the chana gets a little tender but shape is intact.
- Drain the water and keep the chana aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, saute the whole cumin seeds and bay leaves.
- Add onion and saute for sometime, over medium flame till the onions get transparent.
- Add all the powdered spices and cook it well.
- Add the ribbed gourd, pre-boiled chana and salt and mix properly.
- Cook it for 10-15 min in a medium flame with cover.
- When the gravy becomes thick, turn off the gas.
- Serve the preparation with Roti or Paratha.