Karela Posto (Karela curry with poppy seeds)
It is a bitter dish and serve as the first item of Indian menu.
- 200 gm karela (cut into small pieces)
- 2-3 chopped green chilli
- 2-tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-tablespoon rai (black mustard seeds)
- 1-teaspoon kalonji
- 1-teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
Salt & sugar to taste
- First soaked the karela pieces into salt-water for 10 min.
- After 10 min drain the water & keep the karela aside.
- Make a paste of poppy seeds & rai.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add kalonji & green chilli to sauté.
- Add karela and fry it for 2-3 min.
- Add turmeric powder & poppy seeds & rai paste.
- Add salt and sugar according to taste & cooked it for 10 min.
- The Karela dish is ready, serve it with plain steamed rice.