Hilsha with bitter-gourd (Karela Ilish)
- 500 gm hilsha fish (medium pieces)
- 200 gm bitter gourd (wash & cut in medium pieces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed (whole)
- 2-3 dried red chili
- 2-3 green chili (chopped)
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt & sugar according to taste
- 1 cup of mustard oil
- 1 cup of water
- Marinate the fish with a pinch of turmeric and salt and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, lightly fry the fish pieces and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, sauté the bay leaf, red chili and cumin seed.
- Add bitter gourd and fry it properly.
- Add turmeric powder, Salt and sugar to taste and water.
- Add pre-fried fish pieces and cook it for 10-12 min in a low flame with cover.
- When the gravy becomes dry, serve with plain