Dal – Uchhe (pulses with bitter gourd) (a bitter recipe)
- 100 gm motor dal (dried pea pulse) (soak in hot water for overnight)
- 100 gm bitter gourd (uchhe) (cut into medium cubes)
- 2 big potatoes (cut in small cubes)
- 1 teaspoon rai (black mustard seeds)
- 1-2 whole dried red chilli
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt & sugar according to taste
- 1/2 cup of mustard oil
- 2 cup of water
- Drain the water grind the pulses
- Make a tight paste of pulses and make some vadas.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the vadas then crush them & keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add rai & dried chilli for sauté.
- Add bitter gourd and potato & fry it properly.
- Add turmeric powder, ginger paste, salt & sugar according to taste.
- Add water and cook it in a medium flame with cover.
- When the gravy becomes thick, add ghee, crushed vada on top.
- Serve this dish as a first of the meal.