Dal Makhni (mixed dal)
- 1 cup of whole black gram
- 1/2 cup of split bengal gram
- 1/2 cup of kidney beans
- 1 cup of tomato(puree)
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 whole dry red chillies (soaked in water for 15 minutes)
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 cup of fresh cream beaten well and mixed with 1/2 cup of thick milk
- 1/2 cup of ghee (clarified butter)
- 4 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- Soaked kidney beans, black gram and split bengal gram together in water for six hours.
- Grind ginger, garlic and dry red chillies together to a paste.
- Drain out the water from the pulses and add 4 cups of fresh water.
- Cook the pulses in a pressure cooker with 1 tsp ghee, salt and half of the ginger-garlic paste.
- After the first whistle, reduce the flame and cook for about 45 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and open the cooker and mash the contents.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, saute the tomatoes, leftover ginger-garlic paste, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Add this to the dal.
- Add butter and simmer on low flame for 20-25 minutes, stirring and mashing the dal occasionally with a ladle
against the sides of the cooker.
- Add beaten cream mixed with milk.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes more and serve hot with Roti or Paratha.