Chitol (Notopterus chitala) Machher Kalia (Clown
Knife-fish in thick gravy)
- 5-6 pieces of Chitol fish (dressed & wash) (marinate with turmeric powder & salt)
- 1 cup of dahi (yogurt)
- 150 gm tomato (chopped)
- 250 gm onion (paste)
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 2-3 cardamom (ground)
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 2 cup of mustard oil
- 2 cup of water
- Salt & sugar according to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry the fish pieces and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add onion paste and stir properly.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, chilli powder and dahi.
- Add tomato, salt & sugar to taste and fry the spices properly.
- Add water and pre-fried fish & cook it in a medium flame with cover.
- When the gravy becomes thick, add cardamom & cinnamon powder and stir properly.
- Enjoy the dish with steaming Plain