Tom-yum-koong (Hot-and-sour shrimp soup)
- 1 cup rice (prepared in a rice cooker)
- 300 gm medium shrimp (peeled and defined, shells reserved for the broth)
- stalks lemongrass with the green stalks cut off from the white bulb and reserved–and with the tender inner heart of the bulb pounded
flat, minced finely, and set aside
- 4 cups of water
- A can of straw mushrooms (washed)
- 1 small tomato (peeled and cut into thin wedges)
- 1 lime (juice & grated peel)
- 2 green onions (sliced diagonally)
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- Chili oil or Vietnamese chili-garlic sauce to taste
- Cook the rice as directed, and reserve, Ready the garnishes and set aside.
- Prepare the broth by bringing 4 cups of water to a boil with the shrimp shells, then adding the lemongrass stalks and removing from
- After a minute, strain out the shells and stalks.
- When ready to serve, add the mushrooms, lime juice and grated peel, minced lemongrass heart, and tomato to the broth.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Stir and garnish.
- Take to the table and serve at once, serve the rice and chili sauce separately.