Tom- kha-gai (chicken-and-coconut-milk soup with lemongrass)
- 250 gm boneless chicken breast (cut in cubes)
- 2 cups of shiitake mushrooms (edible mushroom) (removed stems)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- A bunch of stalk of lemongrass
- 1 medium onion
- 6 green onions (3 minced and 3 cut on diagonal)
- 2-3 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 2 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (or curry powder)
- 2 cups of bean thread noodles (pre-soak in warm water)
- 6 thick slices ginger
- 3 lime leaves
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 limes (juice)
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cups chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup minced fresh tarragon (a type of herbal)
- Trim the outer sheath & hard ends of the lemongrass, then whack it with back of knife & cut into 3 pieces.
- In a heavy pan, add oil, onion, minced green onion and cook for 1-2 min on medium flame.
- Then add lemongrass, curry paste, ginger and lime leaves & cilantro cook for 4 min.
- Then add stock & bring to boil, then boil gently for 15 min (it can be reserved in
refrigerator at this point 2 days).
- Add coconut milk, then chicken & mushrooms and cook 5 min in a medium flame.
- Stir lime juice & add salt to taste.
- Remove ginger & lemongrass before serving.
- Add bean thread noodles and garnish with herbs & Serve.
Note: Bean thread noodles are the thin noodles made from ground mung beans or mung bean flour. They are also called transparent
or cellophane noodles.