Sultani Dal (Spicy Pulses)
Sultani Dal (Spicy pulses)
- Wash the dal and soak it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk, cream and curd through a muslin cloth and keep in a cool place.
- Grind the cloves and cardamoms to a paste.
- Cut fine slivers of garlic for "baghar".
- Boil the dal in a pressure cooker with salt, chili powder and cups of water. (The quantity of water should be such that there is no surplus of it after the dal is done).
- Cover and cook on slow flame till the dal is done.
- Drain off extra water and mash the dal thoroughly with a heavy ladle to a smooth consistency.
- Place a betel leaf on the dal and put a small piece of live charcoal on it.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of pure ghee and immediately cover and keep for 10 minutes for
- Add the strained cream and the clove-cardamom paste, saffron mixture
and blend well.
- Then cover and simmer on a very slow flame for 5 minutes or to desired consistency.
- For the "baghar", heat the remaining ghee in a small metal bowl
, sauté the cumin seeds and chopped garlic, as it turns to a pink colour, immerse in the utensil containing the dal and cover immediately.
- Stir lightly and turn off the gas.
- Garnished with the chopped green chilies and mint leaves and serve hot