Shahi Tukda (Bread Pudding) (dessert)
- 1 liter full-cream milk
- 1 can (400gm) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cardamom
- 6-8 slices of bread
- 1 cup of raisins
- Ghee to deep fry the bread
- 1/2 cup of chopped almond
- Mix the milk and condensed milk in a thick-bottomed pan and boil till it reduces to half its original
- Stir frequently to prevent from burning the milk.
- When it is done, add the cardamom, mix well and remove from the fire.
- Cut the crusts off from the slices of bread and quarter the slices.
- Heat the ghee in a pan on a medium flame, deep fry the pieces of bread in it till they are crisp and
golden, keep this on paper towels for soak the extra ghee.
- In the same ghee, sauté the raisins till they puff up.
- Remove from the ghee and drain well on paper towels.
- Put a layer of bread pieces at the bottom of a flat serving dish and top with the thickened milk mixture.
- Keep adding layers of bread and the milk mixture alternating as you go, till all the bread and milk mixture is used up.
- Garnish the dish with the raisins and chopped almond, chill for an hour and serve.