Rista (Meat-balls with red gravy)
- Pound boneless meat on a smooth stone with a wooden mallet and add the
meat fat while pounding.
- Make sure the pulp is mixed well to make the round balls.
- Add brown cardamom powder, a little salt and 1 teaspoon ginger powder.
- After mixing well make round balls about 3 inches diameter.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pan, sauté salt, asafoetida and a glass of
water and red chili powder.
- Keep on stirring until it leaves the red colour.
- Add about 8 glasses of water and the rest of the spices and bring to a
- While the gravy is boiling add meat balls slowly and gently boil for an
- Add the moval extract and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with steaming
Moval is a dried flower available only in Kashmir.
Generally it is used for coloring dishes. To prepare moval
extract- soak moval in a cup of water for about an hour, drain and store. As an
alternative we may use saffron
extract. Soak 1 tsp saffron in a cup of water and add to the dish.
Leave a Reply