Murg Musallam (Stuffed Spicy Chicken)
- 1 chicken (whole) (wash and clean)
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1 cup of shelled peas
- 10 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 3-4 tomatoes (peeled & sliced)
- 2 cups of hot water
- 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup of
- Salt To Taste
- 8 cloves
- 2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 brown cardamom
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon roasted coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron strands
- Mix three-quarter of garlic with half the ginger, half the garam masala, 1 tbsp. salt, 1/3rd of turmeric, half of curd and the lemon juice
and mix to paste.
- Make small cuts in the chicken flesh and rub the paste all over and also in the cavity and keep it for 2 hours.
- Half cook the rice with peas, remaining garlic , 4 cloves, peppercorns, 1/2 tsp. salt, brown cardamom and 4 bay leaves and water and
use to stuff the chicken.
- Heat the ghee in a saucepan and fry the chicken until brown all over, be careful not to let the stuffing out.
- Drain the chicken.
- In another pan fry half onions in the remaining ghee with 2 bay leaves, remaining cloves and green cardamoms, until golden.
- Add the remaining turmeric and chili powder, make a paste grinding together the coriander and cumin seeds and the remaining onion
and grated ginger.
- Cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes, until the ghee starts to separate, add the remaining curd, the tomato and salt to taste.
- Add the chicken to the pan and with the spice mixture.
- Pour 11/4 cups of water, cover and cook in a moderately hot oven for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the saffron in the remaining garam masala powder and coriander leaves before serving