Machha Besara (A spicy dish of Rohu fish)
- 1 kg rohu or bhakur fish (rohi
- 1 onion (piaja) (cut in slices)
- 2 tomatoes (tamatara)
- 2 teaspoon red chili
powder (lanka gunda)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haladi
- 5 cloves garlic (rasuna kola)
- 3 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 tablespoon mustard oil (sorisha
- Salt to taste (luna)
- 1/2 cup of coriander leaves (chopped)
- Cut the fish into small pieces and wash thoroughly.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to it for marinating.
- Make a smooth paste with mustard seeds, tomatoes and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pan, fry the marinated fish pieces and keep side.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- When the cumin seeds and mustard start cracking add the sliced onions.
- Add tomato-mustard paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt to it.
- Also add 3 to 4 cups of water and keep the pan on flame for about 10 to12 minutes.
- When the curry starts boiling add the pre-fried fishes and cook it for 5-6 min with cover.
- When the gravy becomes thick, garnish it with coriander leaves before serving.
- Maccha Besar is now ready to be served with rice.