Lazeez Lauki (Delicious Bottle-gourd)
- 500 gm bottle gourd (Lauki)
- 250 gm khoya
- 200 gm curd
- 100 gm ghee
- 25 gm poppy seeds
- 25 gm chironji
- 8-10 cashew nuts
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 5-6 cardamom
- 5 pcs cloves
- 1 blade mace
- 1 tsp kewra water
- A few springs green coriander
- A pinch saffron
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel the gourd (if it is too long, then cut in two halves).
- Remove the pith with a knife with a thin and long blade.
- Prick the outside with a fork, apply a teaspoon of salt all over and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- After that, fry the finely sliced onions to a golden brown and grind to a paste.
- Fry cashew nuts and chironji separately in same ghee to a pink colour and remove.
- Chopped cashew nuts and keep in a separate pan.
- Crumble khoya and keep stirring till it turn to a pinkish hue, mix the fried nuts in it and keep aside.
- Grind cloves, cardamoms and mace to a paste.
- Lightly roast the poppy seeds on a griddle and grind to a paste using some of the curd.
- Pat the gourd dry and fry it in the ghee previously used, evenly brown all over, drain the ghee.
- Now in the khoya, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoon of curd, blend well, stuff the mixture inside the gourd.
- In the curd, mix the onion paste, poppy seed paste, garam masala paste and the saffron dissolved in kewra water.
- Also add the chilli powder and salt and blend well.
- Grease the pan, spread the curd mixture and the remainder of the ghee on it, then cover with lid and place live charcoal fire on it.
- Also apply low heat from below, Cook it for 30 minutes or till the gourd is done.
- Serve hot on a platter garnished with sprigs of coriander.
- Cut the round sliced while serving.
- Enjoy the tasty, delicious Gourd dish with Roti