Khaja (A type of Fried Sweets)
- 2 cups of
white flour (maida)
- 1/2 cup of pure
- 1& 1/2 cups of
- 1& 1/2 cups of refined cooking oil or
frying) (rifaain tela)
- Salt to taste (luna)
- First of all make a paste of ghee and flour by mixing half a cup of ghee
with equal quantity of flour and Keep this paste aside.
- Add a pinch of salt and three teaspoon of ghee to the remaining flour, mix
thoroughly well and then add water slowly as you continue kneading.
- You should get a stiff dough and not a watery one, knead it further till
the dough gets smoothened.
- Now roll the dough into a rectangular shape with the thickness of a chpati
- Then spread the ghee & flour paste evenly over the rectangular surface and
roll the rectangular dough from one side to give it a rope like shape.
- Then cut it into one inch size pieces.
- Roll each piece again to make about 5 inch long khaja.
- Now heat oil or ghee in a frying pan and deep fry the pieces of khaja on
medium to low flame.
- Prepare the sticky sugar syrup with sugar and water
- After the frying is over, now dip the khajas into sugar syrup (one at a
time) and take out.
- Serve after the khaja becomes cold.
Note: It is prepared daily in the kitchen of the
Jagannath Temple of Puri and serve as prasad.