Kesari Bhat (Semolina with saffron) (Sweet)
- 1 cup of Semolina
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 5-6 tablespoon chopped pistachio
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 pinches of saffron
(soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm milk)
- Yellow food colour (few drops) (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoon ghee
- 2-3 cups of Water
- Heat ghee in a large heavy pan, add semolina.
- Stir and roast on low flame for 7-8 minutes.
- Put water to boil simultaneously, add sugar, bring to a boil.
- Add boiling water to the semolina, little at a time and stir continuously.
- Take care to protect hands from the spluttering.
- When mixed well, check semolina grain between fingers and taste for sweetness.
- Adjust sweetness, and add more boiling water if the grain is hard.
- Save a small amount of almonds and pistachio for garnishing.
- Add the remaining ingredients (almonds, pistachio, raisins, cardamom
powder, saffron & ghee) cover and simmer till the ghee separates.
- Add colour if desired and mix well.
- Grease a steel bowl, pour it with hot semolina preparation & press inside it, and
un-mould onto a plate.
- Garnish with rest of almonds and pistachio and serve hot.