- 2 cups white
- 2 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 3-4 tablespoon plain
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon
saffron threads (slightly dry-roasted and powdered)
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2-3 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon green
cardamom seeds powder
- 1 tablespoon kewra water or
- Ghee or
vegetable oil for deep frying
- Mix the flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd, water in a
bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl)
and mix well with a whisk.
- Mix well and then add remaining water (if needed) and saffron powder, and
whisk until smooth.
- Keep aside about 2 hours to ferment.
- Whisk thoroughly before use.
- Prepare sugar syrup with sugar & water.
- Just before the syrup is ready add saffron and cardamom powder.
- Heat the oil in a big kadai, pour the batter in a steady stream (coconut
shell with a hole) in the kadai to form coils.
- Make a few at a time.
- Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown.
- Remove from the kadai and drain on a kitchen paper and immerse in the
- Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
- Take them out of the syrup and serve hot.