Gobi Musallam (Spicy Cauliflower)
- 2 small sized cauliflowers (whole)
- 6 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped ginger &
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1″ piece cinnamon (powdered)
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 tablespoon cashew nuts
- 2 large onions (finely sliced)
- 4 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup of tomato puree
- 1 cup of water
- 2-3 tablespoon grated paneer
- 4-5 tablespoon mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup of fresh cream
- Finely chopped cilantro for garnishing
Note: In a pan roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamoms and
cashew nuts until a faint aroma arises.
Fry the sliced onions on medium flame till brown, allow to cool.
Grind together browned onions, roasted spices, green chillies and chopped ginger-garlic with a little water.
- In a pan pour some water and bring to boil along with some salt, place the cleaned cauliflowers in hot water about 10 min.
- After sometime remove from water, wash well and wipe dry.
- Heat the half of oil in a heavy-bottomed pan, add the cauliflowers (flower side in oil).
- Cover and cook while stirring occasionally on medium flame till the cauliflowers are browned lightly and cooked.
- Remove fried cauliflowers from the pan and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil, heat it till hot and fry the paste on medium flame till the oil separates.
- Add the turmeric powder, hot spice mix, red chilli powder and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, water and sprinkle salt to taste, mix well.
- Simmer and add the milk slowly whilst stirring to get a thick gravy.
- Stuff a little of this gravy between the cauliflower florets and stems.
- Add some water to the remaining gravy to get a desired consistency.
- Add some of the chopped fresh coriander, grated paneer and simmer about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the gravy into a bowl, Now place the stuffed cauliflowers in the same pan and pour the gravy over it evenly.
- Cover tightly and keep on low flame for 5 minutes or till it is heated through.
- Alternatively arrange the cauliflowers topped with gravy on a serving plate and heat through in a preheated oven.
- Garnish with fresh cream and finely chopped cilantro.