Ginger Cream Brulee (Dessert)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (plus 3 teaspoons)
- Preheat oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit.
- Combine cream and ginger in a heavy saucepan, bring it to simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, let stand for 20 minutes.
- Strain cream through sieve in a small bowl, pressing on solids until you’ve gotten every smidgen of liquid out.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in a medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in warm cream, divide custard among 6 1/2-cup custard cups.
- Place ramekins in a roasting pan big enough to hold the ramekins.
- Pour enough warm water into a pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake until the ramekins set in center when pan is gently shaken.
- Remove ramekins from water bath, chill uncovered until cold.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle each custard with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and torch until sugar is caramelized and crisp.
- Garnished with fresh berries (and maybe a chocolate curl) and a piece of crystallized ginger.
- Serve immediately.