Bhareli Vaanji (Stuffed Eggplant or Brinjal)
- 8-10 small tender
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 7-8 cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 tablespoon dried
coconut (grated & roasted)
- 1 teaspoon
sesame seeds (roasted)
- 2 teaspoon peanuts ( roasted & skinned)
- 1-2 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoon Jaggery (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1-2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon
- A pinch of
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2-3 teaspoon red
- 5-6 tablespoon
- Salt according
- 1/2 cup of fresh
- 1/2 cup fresh
coriander leaves (chopped)
- Wash and slit brinjals in four pieces, but keep their stems intact (do not
cut right through the end), put them in water.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a pan, sauté the onion, ginger & garlic and
stir-fry till onion turns translucent.
- Add dry coconut, sesame seeds, coriander powder, cumin powder, peanuts,
stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Cool it & make a fine paste.
- Add jaggery, tamarind pulp, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salts,
scraped fresh coconut, & chopped fresh coriander to the paste and mix well.
- Stuff this paste mixture in the brinjals and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, sauté the mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Add the stuffed brinjals into the pan & gently turn them once or twice for
4-5 minutes on medium heat to ensure even cooking.
- Add 1 cup warm water, bring it to a boil, and cook on low heat.
- Cover the pan till brinjals are cooked & soft.
- Garnish with fresh coconut & fresh coriander and serve.