Bebinca (Rich layered Pudding)
- 1 kg castor sugar
- 3 cups of coconut milk
- 20 egg yolks
- 100 gm white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 2 teaspoon cardamom essence
- 1 cup of ghee
- 1/2 cup of toasted almonds
- Mix the castor sugar with the coconut milk till dissolved.
- Beat the egg yolks till creamy and add to the coconut milk and mix
the flour in it thoroughly, without any lumps.
- Add this to the mixture of coconut milk, sugar and eggs, along with the
nutmeg and cardamom.
- Take a deep pan, about 6 inch in diameter and grease the pan with a tablespoon of ghee.
- Put it under a grill (medium heat).
- Take it out of the grill and pour enough batter in the pan to cover the bottom
about 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Put under the grill for about 2-3 min and let it cook till it turns deep brown in colour.
- Remove from grill, put a dessert spoonful of clarified butter over the cooked layer,
following with enough
batter to cover the first layer, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Repeat this process till all the batter and clarified butter has been used up in the same way.
- The batter must always be in the same proportion.
- The last layer has to be the clarified butter.
- When it cool down, turn out on a dish, keeping the first layer face down.
- Decorate the last layer with toasted almonds.
- Cut in slices and serve.