My most favorite dish is biriyani. It is prepared with rice and meat (generally chicken, mutton, lamb and
beef). It is a North Indian dish. I prefer chicken biriyani, so I’m giving here recipe for chicken biriyani.
Biriyani recipe may vary from region to region, I’m giving the simplest one – it can be prepared at home easily.
- Heat the spices in a pan on low flames for 5 minutes, then grind to make biriyani
- Chicken Marination – Make deep incisions on the chicken flesh for spices to get absorbed. Mix turmeric,
chili powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, yogurt.
- Thoroughly apply this paste onto the meat and let marinate for an hour in room
- Heat about 100ml of oil. Roast shahjeera (a spoonful), cloves, cinnamon, depoded cardamom, bay leaves, 1 spoon coriander powder, and finally add chopped onions(2).
- When onions turn slight brown, add marinated chicken and cook for about 20-30 min.
- Add garam masala. Gravy should not be much, chicken pieces should look roasted.
- Biriyani Rice – Meanwhile, while the chicken is still cooking, prepare the biryani rice.
- Slightly rinse the basmati rice, and add water.
- When it becomes half cooked, drain off the excess water. Also add 1-2 tea spoons of salt to it.
- Take a few semi cooked grains of rice and color them with diluted saffron for garnishing.
- The Biriyani – You will need a utensil preferably broad based (handi).
- Apply ghee at the base of the pot.
- First, put about half of semi cooked rice in it.
- Next make a layer of chicken (use half the entire quantity) and top it with a layer of rice (half of the remaining rice). One more layer of remaining chicken, finally with layer of remaining rice on top ends the rice-chicken layering stage.
- Spread the biriyani masala on each layer.
- Heat oil and deep fry onions(1) to golden brown.
- Similarly fry cashews.
- Garnish the top layer of rice with these two along with 100ml ghee, saffron rice grains and coriander.
- Lid the vessel and try making it air tight (applying flour putting).
- Put on low flame.
- Wait for 2-3 min and turn the vessel to heat other next part on its circumference.
- This way, keep rotating the vessel every 2-3 min for about 20 min. Every time you turn it, carefully disturb the contents by a shaking.
- Remove from the flame and wait for about 10 minutes before opening. Serve it with raita and enjoy… 🙂
Related dish: Pulao,
Sweet Pulao, Mixed
Paneer Matar Pulao