Poda Ilish (smoked hilsha)
- 500 gm hilsha fish (dressed & washed)
- 2 cup of grated coconut
- 4 tablespoon black mustard seed (paste)
- 3-4 green chili (paste)
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt according to taste
- 1 cup of mustard oil
- 2 banana leaves (washed and dry)
- Marinate the fish pieces with turmeric powder, mustard oil & salt and keep aside.
- Grease the banana leaves with oil (plain side)
- Mix mustard paste, chili paste, grated coconut, salt to taste and keep aside.
- Marinate the fish with mustard mix again.
- Place the fishes on center of the banana leaf and fold it properly with a thread.
- Heat the tawa, place the folded banana leaves on tawa.
- When one side becomes slightly burned, then turn another side and burn it in a medium flame.
- Open the folded leaves and serve smoked hilsha with steamed plain