Ashari Ilish (hilsha with mixed spices)
- 500 gm hilsha fish pieces (dressed & washed)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 3-4 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon panch phoran
- 2 tablespoon cumin seed (whole)
- 2 tablespoon coriander seed (whole)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper (whole)
- 2 big onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoon ginger
- 2 tablespoon garlic
- 2-3 dried red chili
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt & sugar to taste
- 4-5 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup of water (if needed)
- Heat the tawa, roast the cumin-coriander seed , pepper
and make a fine powder & keep aside.
- Take onion, ginger, garlic, dried chili, turmeric powder
and make a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, sauté the bay leaf and panch phoran.
- Add pasted spices and fry it well.
- Then add pre-ground spices, coconut milk, salt and sugar according
to taste & stir it properly.
- Add tamarind pulp, water, fish pieces and cook it for 20 min in a
medium flame with cover.
- When the gravy becomes thick & juicy, enjoy it.