List Of Vitamin Deficiency Diseases
1. Keratinizing metaplasia – Due to vitamin A deficiency the epithelial lining of
respiratory passage becomes rough dry and keratinized.
2. Xerosis – Dryness of skin and conjunctiva due to a vit A deficiency.
3. Xerophthalmia – Dry and lusterless cornea and conjunctiva due to a vit A
4. Bitots’s spot – White or greasy triangular deposits on the bulbar conjunctiva
adjacent to the lateral margin of the cornea due to vitamin A deficiency.
5. Keratomalacia – Xerosis and ulceration of the cornea resulting from severe vit
6. Nyctalopia or Night blindness – Poor vision at night due to decreased synthesis
of rhodopsin in absence of vit A.
7. Phrynoderma or Toad skin – Thick and scaly skin due to vit A deficiency.
8. Xerostomia – Non-secretion of salvia due to destruction of saliva secreting cells
in absense of vit A.
9. Gena valgum or Knock knee – Due to vit D deficiency in children legs are
deformed and curved inward so that the knees are close together, knocking as the
person walks, with the ankles widely separated.
10. Bowleg – A deformity of children due to vit D deficiency in which one or both
legs are bent outward at the knee.
11. Rickety rosary – The cartilaginous portion of the ribs swell in children due to
vit D deficiency.
12. Scoliosis – Sideways deviation of the backbone in children due to vit D
13. Pigeons brest – Due to vit D deficiency the lower part of the sternum, xyphoid
process project outward conically by lengthening of the costal cartilage.
14. Harrisons sulcus – A depression develops on both sides of the chest wall of a
child between the pectoral muscles and lower margin of the rib cage due to vit D
deficiency in children.
15. Craniotabs – Due to vitamin D deficiency in children ossification of the bones
of skull does not take place properly as a result of the
presence of soft bones at
various points on the skull.
16. Pot belly – Due to vitamin D deficiency in children muscle of belly do not
developed properly, as a result the belly muscles become non-elastic, therefore
belly protrudes outward.
17. Ricket – Due to vitamin D deficiency among children the bones do not harden
and are malformed.
18. Osteomalacia – Softening of bones in adults due to vitamin D deficiency.
19. Osteoporosis – Loss of bony tissue in adults due to vitamin D deficiency as a
result bones become brittle.
20. Sterility – Due to deficiency of vit E production of gametes does not take place.
21. Abortion – Due to deficiency of vit E in female early
termination of pregnancy
22. Muscular dystrophy – Muscle fails of contract due to vit E deficiency.
23. Exudative diathecis – Due to vit E deficiency exudation of fluid takes place from
cells and tissues of various parts of the body.
24. Ceroid pigmentation – In children vit E deficiency leads to deposition of excessive
pigment at various places on the body.
25. Blood vomiting in new born – Due to vit K deficiency bleeding takes places from
the mouth of newborn baby.
26. Beriberi – A disease of the peripheral nervous system due to deficiency of vit B1.
Wet beriberi – In this type there is an accumulation of tissue fluid within body.
Dry beriberi – In this type paralysis of the limbs take place.
27. Wernick’s encephalopathy – In adult vit B1 deficiency leads to mental confusion
or delirium in combination with paralysis of the eye muscles and an uneasy gait.
28. Nystagmus – Due to vit B1 deficiency in adults disorders of the brain occurs and
thereby rapid involuntary movement of the eye takes place.
29. Cheilosis – Due to vit B1 deficiency lips become swollen, cracked with bright red
30. Stomatitis – Inflammation of the mucus lining of the mouth with the painfulwhite
ulcers on cheeks, tongue and gum occur due to vit B1 deficiency.
31. Glossitis – Inflammation of the tongue takes place due to vit B2 deficiency.
32. Keratitis – Ulceration on cornea due to vit B2 deficiency.
33. Seborrhoeic dermatitis – Due to vit B2 deficiency
development of scaly ulceration
and sticky exudation from scalp.
34. Erythroid hypoplassia – Anaemia caused by destruction of haemopoietic cells of
red bone marrow due to vit B2 deficiency.
35. Chromitrichia – Hair becomes grayish due to vit B3 deficiency.
36. Pellegra – Scaly dermatitis of exposed surfaces due to vit B5 deficiency.
37. Pernicious anaemia – Anaemia due to absence of vit B12 in diet.
38. Scurvy – Swollen bleeding gums due to vit C deficiency.
Copyright Fivetastes 2022 ©