Karanji (A type of Sweet)
- 1 cup of wheat flour (ata) or
white flour (maida)
- 4-5 tablespoon of ghee
- A pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 cup of grated coconut
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of milk
- 3-4 tablespoon chopped almonds
- 3-4 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a big bowl mix flour with salt and ghee & rub in well.
- Add water and knead to form firm dough and cover with wet cloth and keep aside.
- Cook the grated coconut with sugar, milk, chopped almonds and raisins, cardamom powder, and poppy seeds (optional) till the milk evaporate.
- Divide the dough into 20-25 sections, roll them out into flat round pancakes.
- Place a spoon of stuffing at the center of the pancake and fold the pancake in half (like half moon).
- Use a cutter to create the fluted crescent border and cut off excess dough.
- You can seal the edges by applying a little milk and pressing down hard.
- After all the karanjis are stuffed, fry them in very hot oil till golden brown.
- Keep on a paper napkin and allow to cool.