Apple Kuchen (Apple Tart)
- 5 cups of thinly sliced apples
- 1 1/2 cups of white
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 4-5 tablespoon whipped cream
- Preheat the baking pan to 400F.
- Lightly grease 13-x-9 x 2in baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- With pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add beaten egg, milk, and vanilla and stir with fork until the mixture is smooth.
- Spread batter evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Arrange apple slices, thin sides down and slightly overlapping in parallel rows over the batter.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over the apple slices.
- Bake 35 minutes or until apple slices are tender.
- Remove to wire rack.
- Mix apricot preserves with 1 tablespoon of hot water.
- Brush over apples.
- Cut kuchen into rectangles and serve warm with whipped cream.